There are enough reasons to be mad about your internet service provider other than its oligopolistic structure. According to Mark Roemer Oakland, the United States doesn’t even rank among the top 10 countries when it comes to internet speeds. Here are the countries with the fastest internet:
1. Liechtenstein – With an astonishing average speed of 199.28 Mbps, Liechtenstein leads the world in this aspect. Despite its tiny size of just over 60 square miles and 38,000 residents, this European nation leaves everyone else in the dust when it comes to average internet speeds. Moreover, thanks to its generously low tax rates for corporations, it also has the highest GDP per capita.
2. Hong Kong – While the special administrative region of China may be unstable due to mass protests, it remains one of the most prosperous regions in China and boasts an average internet speed of over 112 Mbps. Its vibrant open economy with a GDP of over USD 350 billion is an important hub of international investment and trade and weaves in Asian and Western influences beautifully.
3. Denmark – The home of Lego, Tetra-Pak, and Dynamite has a lot going for it and its residents enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the world. A high average internet speed of 107 Mbps also makes one of the factors that contribute to the high standard of living. Moreover, this change is quite recent and has been facilitated through the USD 1 billion investment of power companies between 2005 and 2013.
4. Switzerland – While the snow-covered mountains and a world-renowned artisan chocolate industry is good for tourism, Singapore is more famous for its generous tax incentives and banking policies. The vibrant digital economy is also known for its incredible high average internet speed of 93 Mbps. Moreover, an astounding 66 percent of its population make up socially active internet users who tweet, like, share, and subscribe.
5. Netherlands – The Dutch nation is known for many things, recreational use of marijuana since the 70s, the highest concentration of museums, wooden boots, and love for all-electric Teslas. However, its high average internet speed of 93 Mbps is not as well known among most. Around 98 percent of Dutch households have a broadband connection. Moreover, switching providers is easy, and even 500Mbps plans are affordable. For instance, a 500Mbps fiber optic plan will cost you around USD 70 per month.
6. Sweden – No wonder Swedish YouTuber, Felix Kjellberg, a.k.aPewdiepie, complained a lot about his internet speed to his viewers when he moved to the UK. With an average internet speed of 91 Mbps, Sweden has one of the world’s fastest average internet speeds and every Swede has been online for years. Moreover, Swedish ISP Bahnhof started offering 10 Gbps plans for USD 60 every month back in 2018.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests that when you move to a new place you should do some research on the local ISPs and opt for the best internet plan you can get for your budget.