Search engine optimization is a form of marketing for businesses that have websites. A company is said to “rank” well on Google and other search engines if their site appears at the top of the list in response to someone’s query. Ranking well on search engines usually means having a website that is more optimized than others, with better content and relevancy to viewers’ needs.
The goal of SEO marketing is to attract clicks by making sure your site comes up high in the rankings when someone searches for a term relevant to your product or service. The higher the site appears in these lists, the more potential customers the site will attract.
There are many different techniques used to rank sites well on search engines. This article will provide information about how each technique works, and then give examples of SEO techniques used by real companies. These include online retailers, travel companies, marketing agencies and publishers.
Keywords are words or phrases that a potential customer might use to search for products or services. For example, if a person was looking for information about web hosting services, they would type something like “web hosting” or “best web hosting” into Google. The words in these two phrases are keywords.
By choosing the best keywords to target, SEO companies can improve their sites’ rankings in Google, Yahoo and other search engines. Some of the main techniques companies use when choosing keywords include:
• Keyword analysis. This refers to studying how people currently search for products or services online; then using this data to decide which terms to target. Keyword tools provide this information.
• Keyword research tools can also help with the process of choosing keywords. For example, Google’s AdWords keyword tool helps companies determine which terms to target when creating a new advertisement.
• Using the tools mentioned above, a company may find that people often enter the term “school photography” into Google. However, they may also see that many people enter the keyword phrase “school photography services” into Google search results. This shows that there are two different groups of people looking for school photography services—one group is looking for an online business to provide their needs while the other is looking for a professional photographer to take photos of their children in school. This shows that there are two different groups of people who might be interested in a school photography service, so targeting these phrases would be more effective than targeting the term “school photography” alone.
Keyword research tools include:
• Google AdWords Keyword Tool: An online tool used to find keywords that people enter into search engines.
• Google Trends: An online tool used to examine how often various search terms are entered into millions of search engines around the world.
• Google Search Console: A website monitoring system which helps companies monitor changes in their ranking on Google. It is offered by Google for free, but some companies have paid accounts which provide additional service features and data from other sources than just the keyword tool.